Monday, December 11, 2006

My thought on Convergence Journalism

I have no much idea to say about “Convergence Journalism” because I do not have the instructor’s book to read. Let me try, however, to say something about it. I still remember during the last summer course at Ateneo de Manila University where I attended Dr. Quinn’s afternoon lecture with Karen. Dr. Quinn showed us a movie describing about it. At that time, I also shared my personal experience when I worked for Reuters. You see, my bureau chief sent me to cover news in the fields and he gave me a camera and a small digital video camera. It looked a bit crazy for a journalist who carried two different cameras to take pictures while reporting news. But this is life and I felt so proud when my pictures and video were used though quality were not perfect. During the Q and A session of Dr. Quinn’s lecture, I said and I now still say that “A journalist must be ready to do everything regarding media”. S/he should know how to perform multi-function and such work has applied to many Cambodian journalists for years. Nearly all TV channels, newspapers, and magazines in Cambodia, we can see on the screens and pages showing that “Story and picture by XXX”. Many TV reporters now use video cameras by themselves. They use satellite phones to send news and pictures to their stations. They sometimes stand their cameras on tripods and then they run to stand in front of the cameras to report news. Reality, it is nothing wrong when camerapersons and photographers report/write news while reporters take pictures. Radio reporters can also take pictures to post on their companies’ websites. I really agree that some quality is not good for a journalist who takes multi-function but it is better than nothing. A journalist looks like a solder in the battlefield. I mean many solders know how to use all kind of weapons and forced-fighting attack depending on the situation. So, why not for journalists? Journalists must be ready to do their jobs in mass media. Some print journalists can design and use photoshop programme to edit pictures. They have to understand about copy editing. Many other journalists also know well about IT so that they can deal well with websites while technology in our world is non-stopped developing. In short, many journalists around the globe are taking “Convergence Journalism” allowing them to learn more how to deliver all kind of media products to the public.

No comments: